The American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) in Sint Maarten (SXM), invites applications for the positions of:
Opportunity at a Glance
The Safety and Security Officer is responsible for providing entry-level safety and security functions at the University and/or Campus Community, including any on-campus or off-campus areas where an AUC relationship exists. These officers promote lawful behavior and protect the welfare of students, faculty and staff, and visitors/contractors as a uniformed presence on campus. A safety & security officer performs foot patrols of the university campus to monitor behavior, secure buildings and property, investigate disturbances, maintain order during events and enforce regulations. They monitor the physical safety of campus buildings by locking and unlocking doors, patrolling or monitoring using surveillance systems, and reporting suspicious behavior. Safety & Security officers respond to incident scenes, provide first aid, and alert additional police or emergency personnel as appropriate. They maintain radio communication with other safety & security personnel on campus, helping to coordinate emergency plans. They also write and submit incident reports to safety & security supervisors.
- Responsible for physical security and access to the university property.
- Locks and unlocks doors of campus buildings.
- Must be able to speak, read, and write English proficiently.
- Reports risks and vulnerabilities to University assets.
- Manages and supervises visitors to campus which includes the regulation of pedestrian and vehicle access.
- Patrol campus by monitoring of electronic surveillance devices and by moving around campus on foot.
- Issues university identification badges to students, faculty, staff, and visitors. – Operation of telephone and two-way radio equipment.
- Receives and delivers mail/packages.
- Complete assigned training as required.
- Documents incidents which occur on and off campus by writing reports and collecting facts related to incident.
- Make notifications to emergency responders when circumstances and incidents require.
- Provides positive customer service to staff, students, faculty, and visitors to the university.
- Requires the daily operation of a computer for word processing, email management, and other daily office tasks including specific security-related software.
- Performs other duties as required. This position is a designated Campus Security Authority.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all policies and standards
- Candidates who have completed secondary education Preferred.
- 1 year of verifiable job experience Required.
- 1 verifiable security or safety experience Preferred.
- AUTHORITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY: ◦ The Safety and Security Officer will be expected to work with minimal supervision. ◦ The Safety and Security Officer will report directly to the Safety and Security Supervisor, the Manager of Safety & ◦ Security, or in their absence a designee, who will be responsible for providing daily guidance. ◦ The Safety & Security Department requires all its personnel to work varying schedules including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Personnel assigned to the department are considered essential personnel during and following emergencies.
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: ◦ Officer should expect to work in often uncomfortable indoor and outdoor locations, exposed to extreme weather including extreme heat and wet/humid conditions. Officer will be exposed to loud noises and vibration. Officers will work alone in low light and dark conditions.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: ◦ Sitting: Remaining in the seated position ◦ Stand: Remaining on one’s feet in an upright position at a workstation without moving about ◦ Walking: Moving about on foot, climbing stairs, walking on uneven surfaces unassisted ◦ Lifting: Raising or lowering an object from one level to another (includes upward pulling) 25-50 lbs ◦ Carrying: Transporting an object, usually holding it in the hands or arms, or on the shoulder.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
About American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine
Founded in 1978, AUC is a respected, accredited medical school in the Caribbean.