Saba Island, located in the Caribbean, is a special municipality of the Netherlands, Saba is known for its magnificent nature and is an excellent diving destination. Mount Scenery is, with its 877 meters, the highest point of the Dutch Kingdom. Saba measures 13 km2 in size and has about 2,000 inhabitants. The four villages on the island are named: The Bottom (the capital), Windwardside, St. John’s and Zion’s Hill.
The Island Government is looking for an
Operational Manager/work coach
The Island Government of Saba is known for its stability. It maintains good relations with the Netherlands and facilitates that results are achieved in various domains. Within the organization, people work together on the further development of the island. Our colleagues work on infrastructure (airport, harbor, water management), public works, planning, solid waste collection and processing, tourism, community development, health care, agriculture, HRM, ICT, finance, communication, civil affairs, legal advice and various policy areas. In total, there are about 180 employees.
The Saba Island Government works on more self-reliance and economic development, with a focus on sustainability, accessibility, poverty eradication and improving the quality of life. In the recent period, the government has worked on projects such as the renovation of the airport, separation of solid waste (recycling), facilitating of a healthy lifestyle, improvement of social facilities, training and education of civil servants in, among other things, project management and policy writing.
Here, we say that the work is in progress’ because there is still so much to do. Topics that we are currently working on include: a new harbor, new school buildings, marketing of our eco-tourism, nature preservation, agriculture, organization development, training and coaching of personnel, digitalization, etc.
The operational manager/work coach is responsible for giving an impulse to the organization and makes sure that agreements are actually implemented. We are looking for someone who gives practical meaning to ‘getting things done’. Someone who aims at accomplishing results of the internal orga move throughout the entire organization and make sure that the set targets and result agreements are truly accomplished on time. You do this by working in a pro-active and guiding manner. There is a lot of work at the staff of the Island Secretary and you are the person who will ensure that positive progress can be reported to the Executive Council and via the Registrar to the Island Council. The function falls within the Island Secretary staff.
Tasks that are part of the job are:
- Report to the Island Secretary, members of the Executive Council and to the Island Council through the Registrar;
- Supervise the execution of the set goals and agreements that have been made;
- Writing of short progress reports, making presentations;
- Daily contact with different colleagues in the organization such as managers, policy workers and others about the execution of made agreements;
- Giving co-direction to the priorities of the Executive Council and thereby also of the Island Council;
- Ensuring that the internal organization becomes more result-driven;
- Coaching and guiding managers in steering their departments and people.
Are you very result-driven?
Do you love to work with people?
Do you have experience in ‘getting things done’?
We are looking for an experienced operational manager/work coach. Someone who is hands-on, maintains an overview and also goes in-depth. Someone with strong organizational and communication skills. The following is required of you:
- You are good at facilitating target realization, you manage this and you report short and powerful;
- You have a ‘go for it’ mentality to achieve results together with others, sometimes by micro-managing;
- You are result-driven and you come up with original, surprising solutions when necessary;
- You are a well-organized person who is used to dealing with deadlines;
- You have a clear, resolute way of work whereby you remain well-connected with people;
- You are a structured person who likes to keep lists’, monitors progress, checks and escalates when necessary;
- You have experience on a municipal or ministry level, working in a politically and culturally sensitive context;
- You easily make contact with different people and you have very good communication skills;
- You have experience in coaching and guiding of people and groups;
- You are an integer person. You have a practical attitude and you are a good team player;
- You can clearly relay your message in English both in writing and verbally. Saba is English-speaking;
We offer a 39.5-hour workweek and a local market-based salary accompanied by good secondary terms of employment.
You can apply until December 15, 2020 by sending your letter of application and CV in English (if desired, also in Dutch) to the attention of the head of HRM, Tabetha Hassell; personnel [email protected]. You may also use this address for any questions that you may have.